Saturday, October 24, 2009

something new

I took my new bike out for a spin today. The work week combined with the heavy rains kept me off of it. I'm not what you call a hard core biker, more of a recreational rider. My place of employment keeps me moving during the week...go go go...go go go...what's wrong, go faster. At weeks end, I'm usually spent. The thing is though, I'm not doing enough to elevate my heartbeat like I should. In fact, on the weekends, I'm almost sedentary and that's something I want to stop. Come Monday I can feel a diminished lack of fitness. Hence the bike. I took a spin around the TCC NW campus. It's kinda hairy getting over there with the cars speeding by, hellbent on getting to the next stop sign, but once there it's a nice place to ride. On the weekend, that is. Marine Creek Lake has a narrow paved trail around it and it looks like it'd be a nice place to tool around, but a sign at the trail entrance stated: no this, no that, no the other. Too bad, the only thing on the trail was the breeze. I can feel the exertion in my lungs. They're sending up their complaints in coughs and tracheal irritation. I'm thinking later I'm going to put my bike on the back of my car and go to the trail that runs along the Trinity River. If you see a tallish, lanky person, on a new white trek, looking down and fussing at his pedals, it might be me.

2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. Work keeps me down to one ride per week. You could catch the northern tip of the Trinity Trails near the Air Force base and ride towards downtown, but most of the trail on that side of town is not paved. I don't know if you want to get that new bike dirty yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It just so happens that I have an old dried out trek 1220 that I'm contemplating taking to a bike shop round here to get rehabbed. Doohickie recommends the city cyclist, fwweekly recommends panther city bicycles, and personally bikes inc seems to be a little spotty. I don't have the time, inclination or ability, frankly to do it myself. I'll do my part for the local economy and put it in a shop around here. She'll be perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete